When your Excel file gets corrupted, you may experience different errormessages or even not able to access the file. Corruption in Excel file may occur due to variety of reasons and factors. In this post, we’ll discuss the causes behind corruptionin Excel file and some best ways to fixcorrupted Excel files. We’llalso mention an Excel file repair software that can easilyrepair corrupted Excel files without any file size limitation.
Causes for Corruption in Excel File
Large-sized Excel files are easily prone to corruption. However, there are various other reasons and factors that can lead tocorruption in Excel files. Some of them are:
- Problems with hard drive
- Problematic Microsoft updates
- Virus or malware attack
- Sudden system shutdown
- Abrupt closing of application
- Unexpected power failure
5 Best Ways to Fix Large-Sized Corrupted Excel Files
If you try to open a corrupt Excel file, Microsoft Excel automatically starts File Recovery mode and tries to repair the file.However, if the recovery mode doesn’t start or work, then follow the below methods to repair and recover the corrupted Excel file.
Method 1: Revert to the Previously Saved Version
MS Excel featuresan AutoRecover option that saves a file version automatically. If this optionwas enabled beforehand, you can use it to recoverthe previous version of the corrupted Excel file. Below-mentioned are the steps to restore the Excel file using the Recover Unsaved Workbooks option.
- Open the corrupted or damaged Excel file (If you are able to open it).
- Go to File > Info > Manage Workbook.
- Click on Recover Unsaved Workbooksoption.
- Select the last saved file version and then click Open.
- Verify the data in the fileand then click File > Save As.
Method 2:Turn Off Protected View
Protected View in Excel prevents you from opening the Excel file if it comes from internet or other unsafe location as it may contain virus, malware, or other malicious software that can harm your system. However, sometimes, this feature prevents an Excel filefrom opening even if it comes from a trusted location. In such a case, you can disable the “Protected View” settings in Microsoft Excel. To do so, follow these steps:
- Open your Microsoft Excel and go to File > Options.
- The Excel Options window is displayed.
- Go to the TrustCenter option tab and click the Trust Center Settings button.
- In the Trust Center window, go to the Protected Viewtab.
- Unmark all the options under Protected View and click onOK.
Now try to open the Excel file and see if it resolves the issue.
Method 3:Set the Calculation Option in Excel as Manual
MS Excel has a default setting to refresh the Excel workbooks. It recalculates each formula in the worksheet even when you make a minor change. It also slows down the processing of large spreadsheets. Sometimes, it prevents you from opening the file. You can change the Calculation settings from automatic to manual. Follow the below steps:
- Go to File > New.
- Click on Blank Workbook under the Available Templates tab.
- Again go to File and then click Options.
- Go to the Formulas category and selectthe Manual option under Calculation options.
- Click OK.
- Click Open on the File tab, select the Excel file, and then click Open.
Method 4:ChangetheFile Extension
If you are unable to open the Excel file, you can try changing the file extension. Sometimes, it helps in resolving the issue. To do so, follow these steps:
- Open File Explorer and go to the location where the Excel file is stored.
- Click on View and enable the File name extensions option.
- Right-click on the Excel file and choose Rename.
- Change the extension (.xls to .xlsm or .xlsx) and then open the Excel file to check if the issue is fixed.
Method 5: Run Open and Repair Tool
You can use Microsoft’s built-in utility-Open and Repair for repairing theExcel file. Follow these steps:
- Go to File > Open.
- In the Open dialog box, select the corrupted Excel file.
- Click the arrow next to the Open button and select Open and Repair from the dropdown.
- Click Repair to recover as much data from the workbook as possible.
What if the Above Methods donot Work?
If the above methodsdonot work, then use an advanced Excel file repair software, such as Stellar Repair for Excel. It is a professional tool that can easily fix large-sized corrupted Excel files. It fixescorruption in the Excel file and restoresall itsdata with complete integrity. It offersa preview of the recoverable data before saving it for precise recovery. The software supports Excel files of MS Excel 2021, 2019, 2016, 2013, and lower versions.You can download the free trial version of the software to evaluate its functionality.
Excel files can get corrupted due to numerous reasons. We have shared the 5 best ways to fix corrupted Excel file and recover the data in this post. You can run Microsoft’s native tool, “Open and Repair” to repair the corrupt Excel file. However, if it does not work, you can try a professional Excel repair tool, such as Stellar Repair for Excel to repair the corrupted large-sized Excel files. This tool can help you recover all the objects fromthe corrupted Excel file, including charts, tables, macros, and properties. Also, the tool is compatible with Excel 2021, 2019, 2016, and older versions.
As large Excel files are prone to corruption, it is suggested to keep a tab on the file size to prevent corruption.